Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Travel Tip Tuesday

Don't leave home without it. Traveling by automobile, aka, road tripping can often be one of the most rewarding ways to travel. But it can also be one of the biggest headaches of your life if you're not adequately prepared for multiple scenarios. I don't mean to sound drastic and I'm not trying to say you have to bring a trailer attached to your vehicle so that you can weather out a three day storm while traveling across the Saharan desert. It's simply important to have the basic supplies you need in case of untimely incidents that may occur during your journey. Spare tire, a working jack that actually fits underneath your vehicle, emergency road kit with flares and reflective mini towers, small first aid kit, and a physical roadmap just in case your GPS stops working or your smartphone decides to die when you need it the most. And if you really want to get creative and be travel savvy you can have some extra emergency food tucked away, a bottle of water, an extra pair of clothes, if not used for you specifically you never know what or who might need your help along the way to your destination. Following and keeping these few extra things in your motor vehicle of choice can save you a lot of time by allowing you to take care of yourself and maybe others you come into contact with. I personally wish I would have known to check and see if my jack actually fit underneath my car a few years ago when I ran into a little issue in the desert. I had recently just bought a used car that was slightly lower to the ground than normal and didn't think twice about checking to see if the jack would actually work. That tire problem stuff only happens to other people right? Wrong... Anyway, short ending to an odd story, a police car just so happened to be passing through this area and gave me his jack to use which happened to fit just right. If not for that extremely odd coincidence, I would have had a very long walk into town to try and fix my problem. You may be wondering what I was doing in the desert and how my problem came about, luckily for me and for you this is neither the time nor the place to be reciting that tale. Needless to say it helps to know what you're getting into and to be ready for the unexpected situations that can come out of thin air.

"Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No comments:

Post a Comment